The Division for Palestinian Rights was established by the UN General Assembly pursuant to resolution 32/40 B of 2 December 1977. The core functions of the Division are as follows:
- Providing substantive support and secretariat services for the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People;
- Assisting the Committee in the exercise of its mandate and the promotion and implementation of its commendations;
- Planning, organizing and servicing the Committee’s programme of international meetings and conferences;
- Maintaining liaison with civil society organizations which are active on the issue;
- Organizing the annual commemoration of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People;
- Preparing studies and publications relating to the question of Palestine and the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people and promoting their widest possible dissemination, including in cooperation with the Department of Public Information;
- Maintaining and developing the Web-based United Nations Information System on the Question of Palestine (UNISPAL).